We know all the benefit of using Eucalyptus oils. From Medicinal uses to household cleaning products. But did you know the 10 fun facts about Eucalyptus tree.
So here it is 10 Fun Facts about Eucalyptus oils:
1. Eucalyptus has more than 700 species. Most are native to Australia.
2. Depends on the species. Eucalyptus tree can reach 33 to 200 feet in height.
3. Eucalyptus is also known as gum tree because of the sticky rubbery substance that flows from the injured bark.
4. Fruit of eucalyptus is called gum nut. They are non-edible. Moreover, the valves at the end of the fruit open to release the waxy, yellow-brown seeds. And Eucalyptus flowers have no petals.
5. Koala's diet is completely based on the leaves of eucalyptus. Eucalyptus leaves are very fibrous and low in nutrition. To most animals, they are extremely poisonous. Even a large amount of oil can be toxic. The toxins are thought to be produced by the trees as a protection against animals who eat the leaves, like insects. The only mammals which can survive on a diet of eucalyptus leaves are koalas, greater glider, and ringtail possums.
6. Depends on the species. Most eucalyptus trees can survive more than 250 years in the wild.
7. Eucalyptus grows super-fast. Compared to other hardwoods, which can take 18-25 years to reach early maturity. Provided they have enough water and are in the right climate, eucalyptus trees are a renewable resource. That is a remarkable and important fact for the sustainability of the flooring industry and for consumers who want to make better choices for the environment.
8. Australia is covered by 92,000,000 hectares(227,336,951 acres) of eucalypt forest, comprising three quarters of the area covered by native forest.
9. Eucalyptus wood is also commonly used to make didgeridoos, a traditional Australian Aboriginal wind instrument.
10. Leaves of eucalyptus are rich in oil that is used to alleviate symptoms of bronchitis, sore throat, nasal congestion.